Sunday, October 19, 2008

I've caught the bug...




When we first moved into our house here in Payson, there was snow covering our entire yard, and all of our trees were leaf bare. We had no idea what kind of trees they were. So when spring came around, one of our trees began to get blossoms. Nothing really came of the blossoms, except very small pears that never got big enough to count.


Naturally, since our tree had not produced anything the year before, I had no reason to believe that it would this year either. Boy was I wrong.


Our tree produced more pears than I knew what to do with this year. Seriously, my visiting teached described our tree as one straight from a Doctor Seus book. The branches were breaking and curving everywhere. It was a good comparison. And one day, I realized that this year, we might just get some real fruit. And, with the economy being in the state that it is, I considered it a blessing from our heavenly father, and I knew I'd better not let it go to waste.


So Gabe and I harvested all the fruit we could in a day, and then Gabe set to work pruning our poor picked on tree. We then waited for weeks making sure to keep the temperature in our house below 73 degrees.


The pears have just about all ripened, and I have been scrambling to get them canned. Friday was my very first time canning anything, and when we had finished jarring 13 quarts, and 7 pints of pears, I felt very satisfied, and proud of the work I had done. (Of course I didn't do it alone. My cousin and my mom helped me out quite a bit!) I am going to be canning more tomorrow, and I am getting so excited at the prospect. I have seriously started becoming obsessed. Now I am taking people up on their offers of fruit from other trees, and I am thinking I might can some of those as well. Plus, I have decided to make and freeze a bunch of pies, and maybe make some pear jam.


I have become a fruit preservation freak!

8 comments:

natalie brady said...

That's a cool surprise! I wish I had a yard, and could grow a garden, I'd be with you on the canning. If you do make pear jam, call me, I have a friend who just told me a really easy way to make jam.

Gretch said...

Yummy! I also have been getting into canning this year. We're so domestic. :-) Now all we need to do is learn how to sew our own clothes.

whitney said...

Go you!!! I'm very impressed with your canning prowess. What a suprise to have so much fruit after the last year!

Kaila said...

Way to be a domestic goddess.

Sarah said...

My sister lives in Payson and has a pear tree as well. She gave us a few and they were yummy yummy!!!
Canning is so domestic!!! Very impressive. The closest I've ever come to that is freezer jam. ha ha!

Zachary said...

That is awesome! Way to go Sis!

carolyn said...

Hey girl! Someone found my blog through provo highs blog so I followed a trail of blogs until it led to you. you have such a cute family and congratulations on the canning. Shawn and I have been food storage fanatics this year and surprisingly it can get addicting. E-mail me and let me know how you are doing! csrowberry@yahoo.com

Monaca said...

You Go Girl!